Practice Areas

Austin Attorney for Your Immigration Needs

Immigration law can be very complex, and in many situations there is only one opportunity to get things right. It is important to consult an attorney about your case. Experienced Austin immigration lawyer Daniella Lyttle and the staff at the Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC may be able to help you. We handle matters involving green cards, temporary visas, waivers, citizenship, employment-based immigration, and appeals. Daniella Lyttle assists people throughout the United States and the world with their immigration needs. We offer in person, Skype, and phone consultations for your convenience. No matter where you are located, we can help you with your immigration matter.

Representation for Foreign Nationals Seeking Legal Status in the U.S.

In order to become a permanent resident of the United States, you will need to obtain a green card. Green card holders have the right to live and work permanently in this country, as long as they do not commit removable offenses. They are protected by federal, state, and local laws, and in turn they are required to obey these laws. They are also required to file income tax returns and report income, and they are expected to support a democratic form of government. Male green card holders aged 18 to 25 are expected to register with the selective service.

Conditional permanent residents are people married for less than two years to a spouse who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident on the day that you receive permanent resident status. Conditional permanent residents have the same rights and obligations that permanent residents do. At the end of the second year, conditional permanent residents need to apply to remove the conditions on their residence within the 90-day period before two years pass from the issuance of the green card.

Before entering the United States, citizens of foreign countries must apply for and receive a visa. These may be nonimmigrant visas for a temporary stay or immigrant visas for people seeking permanent residence. For example, some workers may apply for a temporary worker visa. These are for workers who want to enter the country for a fixed period of employment. In order to obtain this type of visa, the prospective employer must file a petition for a work visa with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Temporary worker visa categories include H-1B, H-1B1, H-2A, H-2B, H-3, L, O, P1, P-2, P-3, and Q-1.

One of the most common ways for a foreign national to establish legal residence in the U.S. is through the family-based immigration process. You can apply for a family-based green card if you are an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, a family member of a citizen who belongs in a preference category, a family member of a green card holder, or a widower of a U.S. citizen, or if you belong in certain other categories.

Also, fiancé and marriage visas, technically known as K-1 and K-3 visas, are available for non-citizens who are engaged to marry a U.S. citizen or who have already married a U.S. citizen. In the fiancé visa process, the U.S. citizen must file the petition on behalf of his or her fiancé. This involves establishing that the U.S. citizen plans to marry the non-citizen fiancé within 90 days of that person's entry into the U.S., that both the citizen and the fiancé are free to marry, and that the citizen and fiancé met at least once in person within two years of filing the petition. The in-person meeting requirement may be waived in certain situations. For a K-3 visa, the U.S. citizen also must file the petition on behalf of the non-citizen spouse. The application must be filed in the country where the marriage took place if it did not take place in the U.S. The children of applicants for K-3 visas may be able to receive K-4 visas, which allow them to stay in the U.S. with their parent while the immigrant visa petitions are awaiting approval.

We also handle Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) cases. DACA is a process for certain undocumented immigrants who can prove that they are no risk to national security, came into the United States before they turned 16 and before June 2007, and meet other criteria. People with DACA status receive a two-year work permit and become exempt from deportation.

Our firm helps immigrants apply for naturalization, which is the process by which they can become citizens. Usually, an applicant must be at least 18 and be a green card holder in order to file for citizenship.

Certain immigration matters may be appealed. The highest administrative body that interprets and applies immigration laws is the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA). The BIA hears appeals from the decisions of immigration judges and district directors of the Department of Homeland Security in cases in which the government is on one side and a foreign national, citizen, or business is on the other. Attorney Lyttle can handle appeals, including requests for evidence (RFEs). While your application is pending, an RFE may be issued. This means that there is evidence missing from your case. It is important to retain an attorney to make sure that you respond appropriately so that the officer can make a thoroughly informed decision.

Contact an Immigration Lawyer in the Austin Area

At Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC, Austin immigration lawyer Daniella Lyttle can guide you through the legal process from start to finish. She can represent people anywhere in the U.S. and worldwide in immigration matters. Call us at (512) 215-5225 or use our online form to set up an appointment with a green card attorney.