M-1 Vocational Students

M–1 Visa For Vocational Or Non–Academic Students

The M–1 visa is a non-immigrant visa for students who wish to pursue a course of study that is not principally academic in nature. The vocational school must be a recognized nonacademic institution.

Requirements For The M–1 Visa

To qualify for this type of student visa, you must prove that:

  • You have completed a course of study as normally required for enrollment,

  • You have been accepted for a full course of study by an approved vocational institution,

  • The institution provides you with Form I–20M–N (certificate of eligibility),

  • You are proficient enough in the English language to complete your course requirements or arrangements have been made to accomplish this goal,

  • You have sufficient funding to pay for the vocational program,

  • You show ties to your country and your intent to return upon completion of your vocational studies,

  • You can show that your proposed vocational studies in the United States would be helpful to you in your homeland, therefore contributing to your intent to return to your homeland upon completion of your studies.

While you have an M–1 visa, you can travel freely in and out of the United States. Your dependents can also live with you while you attend your vocational studies. You also have the ability to work on a limited basis.

All student and recognized schools must comply with SEVIS (Student Exchange Visitor Information System). It is required that your school comply with SEVIS by submitting specific identifying information about you.

How Can An M–1 Visa Lawyer Help You?

The M visa process can be very complicated, given the number of requirements and documents that must be submitted to USCIS.

Unless visa applicants are prepared to educate themselves on the detailed requirements of obtaining an M visa, their best option may be to hire a qualified immigration attorney, who can do all the necessary work to make sure that the process runs smoothly and that the legal requirements are met without undue delay or confusion.

If you or someone you know is interested in obtaining an M visa, Austin, Texas immigration attorney Daniella Lyttle of the Lyttle Law Firm can help. Ms. Lyttle has helped many clients with U.S. immigration matters, and she can help with the M visa process. Furthermore, because obtaining visas are a matter of federal law, rather than state law, she can handle visa applications for citizens living in any state, not merely the State of Texas.

Because Ms. Lyttle is fluent in Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian, she can communicate directly with clients in these languages, read and understand documents in these languages, and communicate with any foreign officials in these languages, if necessary.

The Lyttle Law Firm can give you and your family members peace of mind in undertaking this difficult and potentially frustrating and time–consuming task. Once hired, the Lyttle Law Firm will take over the application process from beginning to end, keeping clients informed, and taking the stress out of the process. If you need assistance obtaining a M visa, contact the Lyttle Law Firm.